Okay, the below list of nine adventures may not be insanely crazy to everyone… but for a reasonable person the following list will probably get your heart racing. For the person afraid of speed, heights, and unusual activities it will test you... For those of you who like action and adventure, well, it may just be another crazy day at the beach. Anyhow, if you haven’t tried the list below, you might want to take a chance on a few. and see if your heartbeat starts accelerating, and a sudden feeling of adventure overcomes you. (Caution: If none of the below seem exciting or fun, maybe you’re just a little crazier than you thought).
For those who are not familiar with Puerto Penasco Mexico aka Rocky Point, you should check it out. Located four hours south of Phoenix or Tucson Arizona, this is Arizona's ocean! It's an easy safe drive to the Sea of Cortez and this beach town is full of expats, fishing and fun. Beautiful condominium resorts (available for rent) line the sea, and an Old Port full of shops, restarants, cantinas and pubs welcomes visitors!
Rocky Point Zip Line- Brand new in 2017! Watch this cool video now! Rocky Point has a zipline! Yes, for those folks who have never ventured over toward the charming community of Cholla Bay, you may be unfamiliar with the majestic spot, Competition Hill. It’s the large patch of sand, where quads, sand rails and all-terrain vehicles race up and down a large sand mound. I could tell you some stories on sand rails, but I won’t. Now, you can zip down the hill in ultra-cool style without being in the sand. Ziplining. The owner and operators, Universal Zipline Technology, through its local affiliate Rocky Point Zipline, have ziplines all over the world and a proven safety record. I heard first-hand from a friend of mine, it was awesome, and she is ready to do it again! Head toward Cholla Bay after the turn off to the Wrecked at the Reef.
2. Ultra-light flight- Have you tried a flight on the ultra-light air crafts on the beach? Perhaps you are sitting on the beach or a balcony of a condo and you see a strange looking flying machine overhead, looks like a hang glider, but wait the flyers are sitting down and there is a motor. My husband takes everyone who visits to a location on Sandy Beach and convinces them to take the ride of their life. The exciting flight last about 20 minutes. You get a shot of adrenaline and a great view of Rocky Point from the air. Located on Sandy Beach on the turn- in road to Wrecked at the Reef Cantina. Try it out!
3. Snorkel with the sea lions on Bird Island- OK, this may sound crazy to some, but take a boat ride to Bird Island with snorkel gear in hand and jump in the water with hundreds of sea lions. Make sure to take an underwater camera as they will come right up to you with their big brown eyes, blinking against your mask. Just remember sharks do like sea lions…I’m just saying it’s a fact ( not that I have ever seen one at Bird Island). If you are interested in taking a trip to Bird Island try email@example.com or www.delmarcharters.com or www.santiagosoceanservices.com. Some beach towns offer ‘swim with the dolphins”, we offer ‘swim with the sea lions’.
4. Horseback riding on the beach-Whether this gets your heart beating or not may depend on how experienced you are in the equestrian arena. Just riding any animal is exciting, and a beach ride at sunset is romantic and may make your heart beat in a different way. Every evening around sunset you will see the horses come out to the beach around Playa Bonita and work their way down Sandy Beach offering rides to customers. Bring a camera and maybe a carrot.
5. Take a ride on the Banana boat- A fast zippy fast ride pulled by a ponga boat. The banana boat rides are fun. They love to pile you on and fling you around. It’s safe, bumpy, old fashioned entertainment, but hold on tight or you might go flying into the sea. Look for them on the water in front of the resorts on Sandy Beac-- life jackets and a fun ride are included.
6. Try your hand at Kite surfing- Picture surfing but with a kite attached to it. Catching air, lifting up off the waves and then back down on the top of the water. It is a pretty sight to see and I imagine a more exciting sport to try, this should get the juices flowing. If you ever tried this in Hawaii or another beautiful location try it out in Penasco.
7. Jet Ski on the Sea of Cortez- What other body of water can you get on a jet ski in front of your resort and ride the waves around the sea. Rocky Point generally does not have surfing waves so jet skiers can glide across flat waters and ride the machine from one point of Sandy Beach to the other. Rocky Point prices are much cheaper for Jet Ski rentals than those in the United States. Take a spin and experience one end of Sandy Beach to the other, or take a trip around the peninsula to Cholla Bay.
8. Kayak around Pinto and Pelican point to Cholla Bay- Ok here is a day adventure for you. Bring down your kayak or rent Kayaks (Las Palomas has kayak rentals beside them Eco Fun Rentals, firstname.lastname@example.org and a few places will have them sitting out on the way into Old Port). Go out at Wrecked at the Reef Cantina on Sandy Beach, and kayak around the peninsula of Cholla Bay. Cholla Bay is a peninsula with two jetting points. You might experience some strong currents at the points, but we said insanely crazy didn’t we? Kayak around to the still water of beautiful Cholla Bay, and then pull your kayaks up in front of JJ’s Cantina and have a snack, and a beverage...then depending on what beverage you had-- kayak back or find a friend to pick you up! Note: Check the tide charts in the Rocky Point Times.
9. Rocky Point Stand Up Paddle Boarding- Here’s a rather new sport in town to Rocky Point. Paddle Boarding. (SUP) It looks relatively easy, but when is the last time you glided or walked on water? If you have never tried this before, I challenge you try it and tell me you got up the first time. A few private residents or visitors may have been seen in the past gliding on top of the sea in what looked like a surfboard, but now they are everywhere, and available for rentals and lessons. Message them on Facebook, www.facebook.com/rockypointpaddleboarding.
There are many more exciting and fun things to do in Rocky Point Mexico with new adventures being offered every day. In my opinion it is impossible not to have fun in our beautiful seaside town.
Above is a small selection of 9, but stay tuned for more!
Subscribe to Anita Kaltenbaugh’s blog, Www.wordstravelfilm.com. This blog features Puerto Penasco as a travel destination, and a great site to discover other travel destinations, book, and movie reviews. Anita is the author of the 2017 book “Travel Secrets, and the fiction suspense novel, A Deep Thing, under the name, A. K. Smith. Both available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble.