Oh yes, it is that time of the year. The spectacular Fall of Rocky Point, Mexico. Where is Rocky Point? It is at the top of the Sea of Cortez and less than a 4-hour drive from Phoenix or Tucson, Arizona. A spectacular autumn road trip.
Okay, we might be a little short on the leaves turning shades of orange and red colors, snazzy wool sweaters and early snowfall. But what we do have: plenty of unusual, exciting events, crazy fun activities and truly incredible weather. The autumn ofRocky Pointis not typical; it is like a fabulous mild summer starting at the end of the year. The water temperature is insanely warm and the nights are blissful and cozy. You might even get a chance to put a long sleeve shirt on when you stroll on the beach at night. Fall in love with Rocky Point, the next couple months are not to be missed!
And, If you are looking for the red, orange fall colors of the leaves, how about a sunset instead?
Get ready, grab your calendar, pen in hand and choose at least one weekend to designate as a Rocky Point Beach weekend. October and November are exceptional, but the way things are going on down here, you need to plan ahead. The fabulous Sea of Cortez, is full of adventure and activity…It’s going to be a crazy busy fall season.
Check out the Fall scene with 17 noteworthy things to do:
1. First, decide where you want to stay, from oceanfront condos with swim-up pool barsand golf courses, beachfront hotels, to the historic Hotel Posada La Roca where Al Capone waltzed and partied until the early morning light. Need to be close to nature? Camp on the beach at a beach front RV park and sleep close to the soft sand. Book it and reserve it now.
2. Walk around your casa (house) speakingSpanish, if you don't know any, write a few basic phrases down and tape them on your mirror. Think about your upcoming vacation and with a little practice before your trip, you’ll have the basic phrases down in no time. Seize the day or "aprovecha el momento, no lo malgastes"
3. Put a little music on while you are planning your visit. Listen to some mariachi music to set the mood.
4. Gather your beach towels, beach gear, and juicy booksand plan a day of sunbathing in Fall--here in Rocky Point we have the endless summer.
5. Check out some cool Rocky Point websites before you go, to find the latest new restaurants, bars, and events. Live music is abundant, and something about the salty air and sea enhances your mood.
6. Ignore all the gasps you receive when your friends and family are alarmed of your trips to Mexico, this is yesterday’s news, tell them to get with the times. My new line when asked, isn't it dangerous? “Yes, perhaps you should stay home, but I'm brave and strong.” And don’t share one bite of your delectable tasty shrimp when you come home.
7. Go to the moon and back or just visit the Pinacate Biosphere Visitor Center and take a nice hike through the Pinacate hiking area. You might just feel like the astronauts did when they practiced their moon walk decades ago right here in our little town.
8. Book a tee time at one of the three beautiful courses in Puerto Penasco to golf. Las Palomas Linkscourse, Laguna Del Mar, and Mayan Palace’s outstanding 5-star world class Jack Nicklaus designer course. Did you know it is rated in the top 100 golf courses? Bring your clubs for a road trip; you won’t regret it.
9. Feel like a pirate. Pirates, yes happy pirates live here on the cool sparkling Sea of Cortez, and they celebrate with music and fireworks. Take a sunset cruise full of dancing and libations on the El Rey Del MarPirate ship. Fun for the whole family.
10. Check out the Mermaids Art Market this Fall. Check Rocky Point Times event calendar for more information on dates. Nothing says beauty, magic and secrets of the sea like a mermaid. This arts and craft fair features a wide variety of local Artists and amazing items recycled and made from the sea. Looking to take back memories of Rocky Point then put this as a must see on your calendar. Happening on selected Saturdays in Rocky Point.
11. Plan a beautiful October weekend around the beach, music, and art. Sit back and listen to rock and roll. Pink Cadillac will be hosting Mark Mulligan, and Bandidtos will be hosting the band The Black Moods.
12. Do you like to fish? You’re in the right spot at the Sea of Cortez. Plan a weekend in October and have a drink at J.J's Cantina while they bring in the winners for the final phase of the Angler of The Year , you might be astonished as the fish get big and the fish tales get bigger.
13. Watch the Hobie Cat Rocky Point Challenge and the 2016 Hobie 16/18 North American Championship. If you're not a sailor, sit back on the beach and enjoy the regatta. October 8-14th.
14. Perhaps, off roading is your adrenaline rush? Well, have you ever tried the El Golfo Run (hosted by Rocky Point Times)? If sand and motors start your engines then check out this fun weekend event (41st annual) on October 14, 15 and 16th. Not for novices you must have and know how to successfully operate a 4x4, buggy/rail/rhino/Razor go to rptimes.com for more details.
15. Do you like to get dirty? Check out the Dirty Beach Mud Run(obstacle course) at Rocky Point Speedway (formerly Thunder on the Beach raceway near the Reef). On October 22, participants who want to add another 5k to their list need to join in this one. Not your typical 5k but one, featuring sand, mud and water obstacles. Feel like a kid again and get dirty.
16. Plan your Day of the Dead weekend now. On Saturday October 30th, there will be a corn hole championship in Cholla Bay ( next to J'J.'s) all proceeds will benefit the Santa Claus Club, which has been helping kids and families all year long. The rest of the cantina's and bars will be celebrating with costumes.
17. Get on your bike and ride. Coined as "the Greatest motorcycle Fiesta south of the border" November 10-13 is the 16th annual Rocky Point Rally. Reserve your place to stay now, as this years rally is slated to be the largest ever. Even if you have never been on a bike, or have a bike, this event is worth attending. People watching heaven. Sit back and enjoy. Events will be ongoing, filled with music, fun and good times.
Bike Rally 2015- Photo by Leland Merrill
Let's summarize this upcoming Fall in Rocky Point. So, if you don't like to golf, fish, run, walk, take photo’s, swim, shop, dress up in Halloween costumes, 4 wheel, play beach volleyball, ride a bike, sit on a motorcycle, play on the water, look at art, listen to music, dance in your flip-flops, take a scenic cruise, people watch or eat delicious food, then Rocky Point might not be the place for you this October and November.
Otherwise, if you like one or more of the above activities and just love life and the sea, then come on down. Make your reservations now, as this will be an EPIC fall!! Watch out the little seaside beach town of Rocky Point Mexico is on a roll… and the ball is rolling faster.
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller.
If you haven't subscribed to my blog yet, click here